Recent Why SERVPRO Posts
HVAC CLEANING AND MAINTENANCE THAT WILL IMPROVE THE AIR QUALITY OF YOUR BUSINESS
Hiring a professional to inspect, clean, and maintain your HVAC system will save you time and trouble. You will want to schedule an inspection every fall and again in spring, after the heavier use months during winter and summer. Your professional will inspect and clean all the wiring and mechanisms of your business’ HVAC units, which requires training and expertise. Scheduling regular inspections, cleaning, and maintenance of your HVAC will greatly improve the air quality of your business, and that will be good news to everyone - staff and guests alike.
As a business owner, there are several simple maintenance chores that you can do to prolong your system’s life and increase its efficiency between professional inspections and maintenance, such as:
- Get a high-efficiency, pleated air filter for your system.
- Keep your heating units and AC free of pollen, leaves, and grass.
- Keep two feet of space clear around your outdoor AC and heating units.
- Inspect refrigerant lines every month.
- Replace your air filters at least every 90 days.
- In the summer, turn off the water running to the furnace humidifier.
- In the fall, replace the humidifier filter and turn the water back on.
- Replace the carbon monoxide detector battery
- Make sure your outdoor AC unit is on firm and level ground
- Clean AC condensation with a bleach and water mixture
Caring for your HVAC properly throughout the year will keep the air quality and atmosphere of your business pleasant and healthy, which keeps your staff happy and content. It will also save you money by improving and maintaining the energy efficiency throughout your buildings and premises.
The SERVPRO of Belle Meade / West Nashville team has the expertise necessary when it comes to inspecting and maintaining your HVAC system, and we are here to answer any questions you might have. We are also experienced in large cleanup jobs such as those needed because of fire damage or water damage, and we are pros at mold remediation.
ODOR REMOVAL AND DEODORIZATION FOR YOUR APARTMENT COMPLEX
Due to the large numbers of people (and pets) that reside in your apartment complex, there are some serious odors that can become a challenge at times. Cigarette smoke, cat litter, and spoiled meat odors are just a few of the smells that can become offensive and troublesome very quickly. If a new resident has moved into an apartment where odors were prevalent, for example, you as the owner could wind up with some contentious conversations that could even lead to legal trouble.
When readying a unit in your apartment complex, make sure the area is completely aired out. You can leave doors and windows open for at least 24 hours, or invest in an air purifying system that can be moved from unit to unit to aid you here. A “home-grown” method that many swear by is to place vinegar or coffee grounds into a bowl and leave in the room with the odor issues. It should be allowed to sit there for several days, and each room should be treated with its own bowl. This method is economical and earth-friendly, too.
Carpet cleaning and/or replacement can be a huge benefit here since carpets are notorious for trapping odors. A green method you can employ is using baking soda: sprinkle it on the offending carpet and leave for 12 to 72 hours. After vacuuming, your unpleasant smell issue should disappear. Steam cleaning is also an option, and a professional cleaning company can be employed here to get the job done in a timely manner. If not, it may be time to consider replacing those old carpets with wooden floors. If you go this route, be sure to instruct your residents on using wood-friendly cleaners, since improper cleaning here can create all-new odor issues.
Washing windows and mirrors regularly can help with cigarette smoke odors, believe it or not. These surfaces get covered with residue and the resulting smell, and cleaning them with vinegar and water can be the perfect solution to the problem. Blinds and drapes can also be culprits and will need to be removed and cleaned. Vinegar is a big help here, too, or you can enlist the help of a professional cleaning company.
If there is still a lingering odor issue, replace HVAC filters and clean the air vents, and even replace the light bulbs. Cigarette smoke, in particular, is very invasive and affects every surface imaginable. Thoroughly cleaning the ceiling may also be a big help here.
When it comes to odor removal and deodorization in your apartment complex, SERVPRO of Belle Meade/West Nashville has the experience and expertise needed to get rid of the problem.
The First Steps in Disaster Restoration For Your Business
After any natural disaster, you as a business owner will be left wondering where to start when it comes to picking up the pieces. You not only have to worry about repairing your own home, but also your commercial property. If your building has experienced severe damages, here are some disaster restoration tips to help you get your business back up and running as soon as possible:
- Safety First. Safety should always be priority number one, whether you are a business owner, a homeowner or both. Even after extreme weather is over and flood waters begin to recede, for example, flooding is still a danger. Potential electrical hazards may exist, and gas leaks and water contaminants are often present - these issues will not be readily apparent to the untrained eye, so enlisting the help of professionals to determine whether there are safety hazards to remove will be a smart decision. Your property should remain off limits until an experienced inspector determines all structures and grounds are safe.
- Insurance Claims. Begin your claim filing process for any major damages as soon as you are able. Dealing with insurance companies can be a frustrating and time-consuming process, so contacting your insurance agent right away will help get you on the road to recovery sooner rather than later. You can contact them periodically with details about the damages as they emerge, but being proactive in starting the process will save you stress in the long run.
- Damage Survey. Take your time in processing the damages your business has sustained. It will be an emotional experience, more than likely, so don’t be surprised by that. As you assess the scope of the destruction, take plenty of pictures and make detailed notes for your insurance claims and company records.
- Salvage. Remove any undamaged items or those things that you know can be repaired, and store them in a safe place until the disaster restoration of your business is completed. Make any minor fixes that you are able to handle, but don’t hesitate to contact professionals for assistance in the big stuff.
- Professional Help. Damage restoration companies know how to handle projects of all types and sizes, and their expertise will help you get back to work quickly. The team at SERVPRO of Belle Meade / West Nashville can guide you through the entire process.
There is hope after a disaster, and you can recover. We are here to help you with all your disaster restoration needs.
Commercial Services SERVPRO of Belle Meade/West Nashville Offers that You Might Not Know About
In addition to clean up after fire damages or water damages, the SERVPRO team is also experienced in mold remediation and removal, but you probably already know that. We are well-known for our expertise in these areas and are proud of our service to our West Nashville/Belle Meade clientele. It’s an honor to serve you!
Today we would like to share a few of the other commercial services we offer that you might not know about so that you can always keep SERVPRO of Belle Meade/ West Nashville in mind when the need arises:
BIOHAZARDS. Exposure to biological and chemical contaminants can pose serious health consequences. Failure to properly remove such substances can contribute to unhealthy and dangerous environments. The SERVPRO of Belle Meade/ West Nashville team is trained to safely remove biohazards and dispose of them properly in accordance with all health regulations. We are equipped with the necessary safety apparatus and cleaning products, and so can help transform these unhealthy environments back into clean, safe homes and offices.
TRAUMA AND CRIME SCENE. After the police have finished processing a crime or accident scene, the cleaning and restoration process can begin. Oftentimes, these events can be traumatic, and dealing with the cleanup can be difficult. Many times, crime and accident scenes have blood and other contaminants that pose a serious health risk. SERVPRO will respond immediately with the specialized training, protective equipment, and experience necessary to safely clean trauma and crime scenes. Our technicians follow OSHA and EPA protocols to help transform an unsafe environment back into a clean, safe home or business. Our first focus is always safety, since crime or accident scenes may involve bloodborne pathogens, harmful chemicals, and other dangers. We will always treat your property and the people involved with the greatest empathy and respect in the face of trying circumstances.
- From fingerprint powder and evidence-gathering chemicals to tear gas and pepper spray residues, we can clean and restore your property after a crime scene investigation.
- We remove and dispose of bodily fluids, tissue and other potentially pathogenic substances resulting from accident, trauma, crime or death. Our trained Professionals clean, disinfect and deodorize the structure.
These are just a few of the commercial services you might not know about that SERVPRO of Belle Meade/ West Nashville offers. Visit our website to learn more!
Full-Scale General Contractors: What to Expect for Your Business
A Full-Scale, or Large-Scale, Project (LSP) can have many definitions since there are no established measurements that can be used to define this type of venture. It depends on the view of the parties involved and how they view the project; for example, a large project that has been done many times previously in similar environments may actually be easy to plan and manage, and therefore may not actually qualify to be considered an LSP.
There are some thresholds that can be used to create a general understanding, such as:
- Size of workforce
A full-scale general contractor will be the main contractor on the project. His/her responsibility will be to ensure that the project is completed according to the specifications of the client(s), as well as any required legal compliances and building codes. Large-scale contractors will often hire subcontractors to get work done effectively and on-time. Full-scale general contractors will typically work in an office, reporting to the job site regularly to ensure that the subcontractors are meeting the specifications of the job in a timely and efficient manner. A large project requires specific skills related to their management, and a general contractor of such a project must be knowledgeable and proficient in the coordination of labor, materials, equipment, and subcontractors in order to get the job done correctly and in a professional manner.
Examples of full-scale constructions projects can be:
- Office buildings
- Shopping malls
- Apartment complexes
Each of these commercial projects requires extremely high-quality management skills from any full-scale general contractor!
SERVPRO of Belle Meade/West Nashville is a team of skilled professionals, and we are committed to the residents of the West Nashville area. Call us today for all your damage restoration needs and cleanup projects both large and small. We are also fire and water damage experts and excel in mold remediation.
How SERVPRO Can Help Your Business Prepare for Large Loss Water Damage
As a business owner, you are always thinking about the future, and you know that disasters are something you need to be prepared for. When disaster strikes, possessions are often ruined, and the structures of businesses can be negatively affected. Staff can become injured or find themselves in dangerous situations, and these are scenarios you want to be able to prevent or at least be ready for. A professional damage restoration company can be an important and welcomed resource during times like these; such companies are able to complete all necessary repairs in a timely and efficient manner as well as keep you and your workforce out of harm’s way.
While disastrous situations can rarely be foreseen, planning ahead in preparation for any possible commercial water damage will help you be prepared to handle such an event. During extreme weather, some areas of your business are going to be more apt to experience damage than others. For example, low-lying areas like basements, cellars, and parking lots are most likely to experience storm damage.
Planning ahead in these areas will help:
- Basements and cellars should be inspected ahead of wet weather since they have a number of easy entry points for water. If there is heavy rainfall during inclement weather, or if the building is near a body of water such as a lake or river, they are going to be in danger. Let the SERVPRO of Belle Meade/ West Nashville professionals look for cracks in the foundation, ceiling, and walls of these areas. Handling the aftermath of flooding and storm damage can be very expensive, but is an event that can be avoided if you plan ahead by enlisting the help of our team.
- A damaged roof, either from weather or fire, is susceptible to water damage, and the areas underneath it will suffer. If rain gutters have not been properly maintained, you may experience some problems stemming from standing water, as well. SERVPRO is skilled and experienced when it comes to maintaining our clients’ property, and we can help you be ready in the event of large loss water damage.
- If areas such as entryways, windows, and doors are not properly sealed against extreme wet conditions, large loss water damage is a definite danger. We can help you make sure they are free of standing water and debris, as well, if flooding occurs. Proper planning in this area can prevent injuries and costly repairs.
- Our professionals can help ensure that all areas around your buildings are kept free from flammable materials and that all plants and trees are trimmed well on a regular basis to prevent fires from spreading if they occur.
- State law requires that you post an evacuation plan in a visible place for your staff and customers. Make sure that your employees understand it and know how to carefully guide clientele to safe areas should a disaster occur. Have a phone tree established so that all employees are alerted to important information whether they are at work or at home. The SERVPRO of Belle Meade/ West Nashville team can help in creating a plan.
Our team here at SERVPRO of Belle Meade/West Nashville is ready to help in case of disaster and large loss water damages, and the repairs your business may need in the aftermath. We are also experts in fire damage restoration, mold remediation, commercial restoration, and much more!
Residential Lightning Damage
Here at SERVPRO of Belle Meade/ West Nashville, we handle fire damages caused by lightning strike roughly twice yearly on average, and 2018 was no exception. This past June, we began the work necessary to complete fire damage remediation on a local residence caused by lightning; the owner was at home and caught it quickly, so the fire itself was contained right away, but the smoke from that fire did a lot more damage than the actual flames itself, so there was still much to be done.
When the lightning hit the residence, it traveled through the electrical lines to one of the home’s electrical boxes, which then caught fire. The foyer of the home, a large entryway with a high vaulted ceiling, sustained the greatest damage, mainly where walls and ceiling met. Standing inside this area, sunlight could be seen coming in through the hole made in the roof by the fire. The home’s bonus room also experienced some damages, and the SERVPRO mitigation team went in with chem-sponge that was used to clean soot off of the walls, and they then worked from the bonus room area where the greatest damage was, moving back to other spaces further away until no soot particles were found. In doing this, SERVPRO of Belle Meade/ West Nashville ensured that no fire damage or smoke damage went untreated. The affected walls in all of the damaged rooms were painted after the cleanup was completed, with drywall replaced where necessary.
It was also found that the garage door opener had shorted out during the event, so this was replaced, as well as the electrical box that caught on fire, with a complete replacement of the melted wiring to that unit.
Our professional in-house crew used a white-glove treatment on this residence and completed the entire project quickly; from the first contact to completion, the restoration project took a little over two weeks.
Here at SERVPRO of Belle Meade/ West Nashville, we are proud to serve the residents of West Nashville, especially when the worst happens. In the event of fire damage or water damages large or small, we’re here to help. And don’t forget - we’re also mold remediation experts! Call us today.
What is a Large Loss Response Team, and How Can We Help You?
When disasters strike, the people affected need to know that there is someone who can help with large-scale damages and destruction. A Large Loss Response Team (LLRT) is a company that is skilled and equipped to handle these types of events. The best of the best will be pre-qualified in restoration in this area so that those who are suffering don’t need to be concerned about the quality of service rendered, and each project will be supervised by a commercial operations manager who ensures that communications are seamless and mitigation is done in a timely and professional manner.
Clients who call on an LLRT can include: universities, municipalities, the hospitality industry, government offices, and apartment and commercial building owners, to name a few. Here are some ways an LLRT can help in the event of a disaster:
- Creating a custom recovery plan based on specific needs.
- Establishing a pre-approved pricing schedule before work begins.
- Assigning an account manager to act as a liaison for the entire process, from start to finish.
- Providing the necessary manpower and equipment that can handle the loss, no matter how large.
- Providing water, power, and sanitation services during disruptions.
Over 1,700 SERVPRO Large Loss Response Teams are strategically located around the nation, and have been mobilized to handle events such as the 2017 California wildfires, Hurricanes Irma, Harvey, and Matthew, and the 2015 Carolina flooding, among many others in recent years, and SERVPRO of Belle Meade West Nashville is proud and honored to have been recently designated as one of these teams!
Companies are awarded this distinction on past performances and experiences, financial stability, and certifications achieved, and because our team at SERVPRO of Belle Meade/ West Nashville is committed to producing quality work and service and committed to doing so as a solidly profitable and fiscally responsible business endeavor, we are very excited and proud to be able to say that we have achieved this designation - one of our biggest goals.
Our commitment to excellence has earned our franchise a highly respected reputation as being the company to call when a business has sustained serious commercial fire damage, commercial water damage, mold growth, or any other commercial disaster.
SERVPRO Storm Teams: Mobilizing to Help Out During a Crisis
The SERVPRO Franchise System was founded in 1967 and is a national leader and provider of fire damage and water damage cleanup, restoration services, and both mold mitigation and remediation. SERVPRO's professional services network of individually owned and operated franchises responds to property damage emergencies ranging from small individual disasters to multi-million dollar large-loss events. Providing coverage in the United States and Canada, the SERVPRO System has established relationships with major insurance companies and commercial clients, as well as individual homeowners.
The SERVPRO Storm Teams can provide help, whether you are dealing with a hurricane, tornado, blizzard, or flood. The SERVPRO System has a network of strategically positioned Storm Teams on standby should any disaster strike near you, and they are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. SERVPRO professionals are prepared for the unpredictable. With the ability to mobilize local command centers, and the resources of over 1,700 franchises nationwide, no disaster is ever too big.
Past mobilizations include:
- Hurricane Michael (2018)
- Hurricane Matthew (2016)
- Louisiana Flooding (2016)
- Houston Flooding (2016)
- Colorado Floods (2013)
- Hurricane Sandy (2012)
- Hurricane Isaac (2012)
- Tennessee Flooding (2010)
- California Wildfires (2009)
We’ve all heard stories or seen pictures of cars up in trees, or an entire outdoor table and chair set sitting in another yard down the street. Some of the things that can happen during violent weather are pretty scary, such as branches driven through walls by high winds, trees falling on roofs, or extremely large hail falling. The SERVPRO Storm Teams are ready to help when the worst happens to make a terrible situation a little bit more bearable.
As the leader in water damage restoration, SERVPRO of Belle Meade/ West Nashville knows that fast mitigation is the key to limiting interruption in your business and personal concerns. With an unmatched national footprint of nationwide franchises, SERVPRO can be on-site within a few hours to help reduce the future damage flooding can cause. We have the right equipment, procedures and training to help ensure the structure is dry the right way the first time, saving you both time and money.
Here at SERVPRO of Belle Meade/ West Nashville, we are proud to serve the residents of Belle Meade and West Nashville. When serious weather hits, we stand ready to mobilize our Storm Teams to help out during any kind of crisis. Call us at (615) 242 9391 for assistance.