Preventing Mold Growth In Your Storage Unit
Your storage unit can be a very susceptible area to mold growth, especially when you live in an area that experiences high humidity at certain times of the year. You’re not going to see the inside of your storage unit very often, and if things get wet or damp, a mold colony can become established pretty quickly. You’ll need to practice preventive measures to ensure that you don’t develop a mold issue in your storage unit.
Here are some tips for preventing mold in the first place:
- Paint. If your storage unit is on your own property, paint it with mold-resistant paint. Products of this type are readily accessible at your local hardware or home goods store. When doing any type of repair or renovation, check with a professional to find any available products that contain mold-resistant ingredients.
- Keep It Dry. Avoid standing water in your unit. If there has been a big rainstorm, drop by and see how things look. If there is standing water of any kind, make sure it all gets cleaned up and aired out before you leave.
- Smell. If you visit your unit and you can smell that telltale musty odor, check all the walls and corners to see if a mold colony has established itself. Any damp and dark area is prime mold real estate.
- Location. A storage unit company will most likely offer interior and exterior units, so if you are storing items that are valuable or that could be adversely affected by mold, you may want to pay the extra leasing fee and rent an interior space. Make sure that the location you are using is in good shape throughout the premises, with proper weather stripping and roofing that will withstand wet weather.
- Wrapping. Wrapping your items in plastic if at all possible is going to help a great deal in preventing mold growth. You can obtain large rolls of bubble wrap for furniture and large items if needed.
Here at SERVPRO of Belle Meade/West Nashville, we have the experience, knowledge, and expertise necessary to help you with any mold damage or preventive practices. We are also available for cleanup after fire and water damage.