What To Do After Water Damage To Your Green Hills Basement
Water damage is always unexpected, unwanted, and unfortunate. It also never waits to happen at a convenient time, but rather, it often comes up in the form of an emergency situation. However, water damage in your Green Hills basement can be swiftly taken care of with a call to your local restoration company, SERVPRO of Belle Meade/West Nashville.
What to do when water damage occurs in Green Hills?
First things first, you should make sure that you get to safety. You can assess your safety by paying attention to the following:
- Is it safe to stay in the house?
- Electrical and "slip and fall" hazards are some of the most prevalent concerns.
- Only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
- Wet materials can be VERY heavy. Be careful!
Next up, you should call an emergency number for a water damage restoration company to get on the scene. By putting SERVPRO of Belle Meade/West Nashville’s number in your phone right now, you won’t have to look one up if water damage comes to pass: (615) 242-9391.
What happens after I call the restoration company if water damage occurs in my Green Hills basement?
While you wait for the restoration team to arrive, we suggest doing the following once you’ve deemed the situation safe.
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines, or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if the ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.
Once the SERVPRO of Belle Meade/West Nashville team arrives, they’ll go through the water damage restoration process to prevent further damage and mitigate more losses from existing damage. This franchise is independently owned and operated.