What Are Some Wood Fireplace Safety Tips To Adhere To This Holiday Season?
It’s that time of year when the days get shorter, the weather gets colder, and all you want to do is cozy up in a warm blanket near a crackling, wood-burning fireplace in your Green Hills abode. While it’s certainly true that home is where the hearth is, if not kept safely, your wood-burning fireplace can cause heartache and stress during what’s supposed to be one of the most celebratory times of the year. Here are some fireplace safety tips to keep you and your loved ones safe this holiday season.
The Lowdown On Fireplace Safety: What Are Some Preventative Measures To Take?
- Use manufactured logs or seasoned hardwood that burns more cleanly than natural wood! This minimizes soot buildup, which often causes chimney fires. However, one thing to note about manufactured logs is that they burn hotter than natural wood, and if you burn more than one at a time, it can negatively affect your wood-burning fireplace. Slow and steady does the trick!
- Keep it simple! What we mean by this is logs that have decorative finishes like glossy wrapping paper and foam peanuts can release toxic fumes. Avoiding evergreen boughs and pounds of paper is better for your fireplace because such material can cause your fireplace to flare up quickly.
- Open the windows when you are lighting a fire! This ensures the fire has enough oxygen to burn efficiently. Fires usually require about five times more oxygen than a room without a fireplace, so keep your windows open to guarantee that your fire burns safely.
- Install a carbon monoxide detector! Carbon monoxide is a deadly, odorless gas that is usually caused by faulty fireplace maintenance. Investing in a carbon monoxide detector will help you and your loved ones be more proactive than reactive, not just during the holidays but year-round.
If The Unthinkable Happens, How Can SERVPRO Of Belle Meade And West Nashville Help?
- While we hope you don’t have to deal with the incinerated remains of your Green Hills home this holiday season, if it does happen, know that SERVPRO of Belle Meade and West Nashville is just one call away! We are faster to any size disaster because we know how physically and mentally devastating natural disasters can be.
- Fire and water damage restorations are our bread and butter, so it makes sense that we specialize in these processes! We are trained in fire and smoke restoration, upholstery and fabric cleaning, odor control, and soot cleanup.
- Our restore vs. replace mentality saves money, helps you recover your restorable belongings after cleanup, and gets you back into your Green Hills home sooner than if everything were to be replaced!
While few things are more overwhelming than the destruction that fire damage leaves in its wake, we hope that these precautionary measures will help you and your family stay safe this holiday season. If ever the situation arises, SERVPRO of Belle Meade and West Nashville will rise to the occasion! Contact us at (615) 242-9391, and let us do the heavy lifting!
This franchise is independently owned and operated.