Gas Fireplace Safety Tips
The cold temperatures of winter are upon us, and there’s nothing quite like cozying up beside a gas fireplace to revel in the warmth of a fire. Gas fireplaces are common features in today’s houses and business lobbies, and they add a homey or classic touch that not much can’t be matched by much else.
Now, more than any other time of year, you’re probably using your gas fireplace often, and we’ve gathered a few tips to help you take safety precautions while enjoying the warmth and light of your fireplace.
1) Install carbon monoxide detectors throughout the building.
Perhaps the most important safety precaution you should take when you have a gas fireplace in your building is to install carbon monoxide detectors on every floor of your home or office. Gas fireplaces are not known to increase the carbon monoxide levels in the building they’re present in. However, any gas appliances should be accompanied by carbon monoxide detectors so you can catch any leaks before they cause serious damage. Schedule two times annually to check and change your detectors’ batteries so they continue to function properly all year-round.
2) Keep all furniture at least 3 feet away from the fireplace.
As a general rule of thumb, you should keep all furniture and flammable objects at the very least 3 feet away from your gas fireplace. Although it’s unlikely that your gas fireplace will catch things ablaze, it’s best not to risk it, and keeping anything flammable a safe distance away from the fireplace will prevent this from happening. Even just having something flammable lean up against the hot glass or cage protecting you from the fireplace may cause a fire.
3) At least once a year, hire a professional to inspect your fireplace.
Regular maintenance is important for any appliance, and this rings true when it comes to a gas fireplace. Hire a professional to inspect your fireplace gas log set at least once a year to clean and adjust the logs and glowing embers, clean the glass, remove any obstructions from the vents, and clean the fan and air circulation passages.
As always, if you have any questions or concerns regarding professional cleaning, fire damage, water damage, mold, or other cleanup jobs, contact SERVPRO of Belle Meade/West Nashville at (615) 242-9391. This franchise is independently owned and operated.