Preventing Flood Damage To Your Hotel
Fire is a common concern for every hotel business owner, but your premises could actually be in more danger of damage by water. Water damage can come in the form of flooding, which is caused by heavy rains, flash floods, dam failures, mudflows, and snowmelt. If you have construction going on in the area, roads and bridges that are being added can often alter the normal flow of water. This may increase the potential for flood damage to your hotel.
There are some steps that you can take to minimize water damage to your hotel property, however, and we are sharing these tips to help you prepare.
- Know the flood zone risk for your area, and evaluate that risk with professional help.
- Ensure that important equipment and appliances, such as laundry facilities, HVAC systems, and hot water systems are located above the expected flood levels for your area.
- Have all drains and sump pumps inspected regularly to ensure that they are properly operational.
- Keep sandbags stocked onsite for help in diverting unusually high water away from the property and parking areas, to include exits.
- If heavy snow is expected, flag drains ahead of snow plows to avoid them becoming stopped up.
- The law requires that you have an evacuation plan set up for your guests and staff. Ensure that your staff is well-versed in the route and that you hold drills periodically to refresh everyone and to instruct new staff members.
- Make sure that your staff is aware of the flood alert signals for your community and that they know what to do in the event of a flooding emergency. Emergency contacts should be easily accessible and referenced so that everyone onsite can make the necessary calls to alert area police and other emergency personnel in the event that their assistance will be needed.
The SERVPRO of Belle Meade/West Nashville is proud to serve the Nashville community. We are water damage and fire damage specialists. If you experience flood damage to your hotel, we are here to help, and we are happy to consult with you on flood prevention methods that will protect your investment from the damage that can come from such an event. We work with insurance companies and adjustors on your behalf, as well.