Handling Fire Damage to Your Apartment Complex
A fire at your apartment complex could be devastating. Your buildings and your tenants, along with their items of value and personal belongings, may have been lost or badly damaged by the flames, heat, smoke, or even received water damage from firefighting efforts. Firefighters may have found it necessary to cut holes in walls to look for hidden flames or in the roof to let out heat and smoke. The clean up after a fire will take a lot of time, patience, and preparation. Below, we are sharing the first steps you will need to take after fire damage to your apartment complex:
- Insurance Company. You will need to contact your insurance agent before any fire damage is repaired or clean-up is begun. Be prepared with information on what is covered, what needs to be repaired or replaced, and how to find reputable companies that can take care of repairs to your property for you during this time.
- Important documents. You will want to take steps to find and retrieve all important documents and replace those that have been lost or irretrievably damaged, such as tenant leasing and financial records, equipment and appliance warranties, mortgage and banking information, and tenants’ personal information.
- Soot Particles. Try to limit movement in the units to prevent soot particles from becoming embedded in the upholstery of all furniture and carpeting. Direct your tenants to place towels or old linens on rugs, upholstered furniture, and foot traffic areas to help alleviate this type of damage.
- Equipment and Appliances. Changing the HVAC filters in your apartment complex after a fire is a good idea, and if the power is out, let your tenants know that they will need to empty freezers and fridges and prop the doors open to get rid of the smoke. Check the wiring for ceiling fans before anyone turns them on as the wiring could have been damaged during the fire.
- Fire Damage Specialists. You won’t want walls to be washed or surfaces painted without contacting a fire damage specialist. Walls and other surfaces, as well as carpeting and draperies, will need to be properly cleaned by a professional before any repair is done.
Here at SERVPRO of Belle Meade / West Nashville, we are ready to help you in the event of fire damage to your home or business. We are also experienced in the areas of water damage and mold prevention and remediation.