Preventing Mold Growth in Your Storage Unit
Your storage unit is one of the areas you may not think about as much when it comes to mold growth, so keeping that issue in mind is going to be a good idea. You’ll need to practice preventive measures to ensure that you don’t develop a mold issue here where you are storing items that are important to you, such as paperwork, artwork, equipment, or family heirlooms, just to name a few.
Storage units are often climate controlled, but they still need to be monitored since mold spores are everywhere. Once mold has established a hold on an area, it can come back even more quickly every time the humidity rises, even in places that are supposed to be immune.
Here are some tips to preventing mold growth in the first place:
- When bringing any items to the unit, or removing them, check the floors, ceilings and walls for any signs of mold. That musty smell we are all familiar with will help you here.
- Look out for standing water in this area. During storms, your unit could develop a leak due to roofing or wall damage. Alert the storage company and managers immediately, or contact a contractor or building expert to help with repairs on your own property.
- Ensure your storage area is well-ventilated. This information can be discussed with the managers of the storage company. If you are using storage areas in your home or business, you can always invest in a dehumidifier.
- When you are repairing or upgrading storage areas, use mold-resistant products whenever possible. There are many kinds of paint, wood, and other materials available on the market today to help you with these types of projects.
Keeping mold out of your storage units and storage areas will keep your important items safe and in good repair.
Here at SERVPRO of Belle Meade/West Nashville, we have the experience, knowledge, and expertise necessary to help you with any mold damage or preventive practices. We are also available for cleanup after fire and water damage. Call us today at (615) 242-9391, or visit our website:SERVPRO of Belle Meade/West Nashville
Summer Water Saving Tips
Every state is experiencing the effects of drought, and saving water is on everyone’s mind these days. We waste a lot of water; our showers are too long, and we are often obsessed with an emerald green lawn. We need to change the way we handle and view water and leave behind the outdated and inefficient water management systems of the past.
Here are some tips that will help you save water this summer. Your water bill will be reduced, and you can save yourself some time into the bargain as well as doing some good for the Earth.
- Water your yard in the cool parts of the day. Water evaporates more quickly when it’s hot, so run your irrigation system while it’s most likely to stay with your lawn. Make sure you are not watering your sidewalk or your driveway, too. A drip system works quite well in this respect. Replacing your thirsty lawn with a drought tolerant garden would be a great way to save water, and it won’t have to be mowed every week!
- Check for leaky toilets. Put a few drops of food coloring into the tank. If the color shows up in the bowl, your tank is leaking, and could be wasting up to 100 gallons of water a day!
- Take shorter showers. Trimming just two minutes off of your showers can save up to 1700 gallons of water a year. One way to do this is to turn off the shower while you shave or soap up. Install water-efficient shower heads, toilets, and faucets for a savings of thousands of gallons per year as well.
- Cover the pool. Make sure the water in your pool stays there by covering it when you are not using it. This will prevent water loss by evaporation.
- Use a car wash. Washing your car by hand can easily use 100 gallons of water, and takes a lot of time and effort, as well. Commercial car washes average 40 gallons or less!
- Trap rain water. Collect the water from summer rain storms by getting a water barrel. You can reuse this water for your garden. Green roofs, rain gardens, and other water-saving techniques are called green infrastructure and go a long way towards saving this most precious resource. More and more landowners and city governments are choosing to invest in these and other innovative strategies as ways to save water, reduce pollution, and save millions, and even billions, in costs for new water tanks, tunnels, and other traditional water infrastructures.
SERVPRO of Belle Meade/West Nashville is here to help you with all your home and business needs. Call us today at (615) 242-9391, or visit our website: SERVPRO of Belle Meade/West Nashville
Chimney Cleaning in the Summer
During the summer, most of us aren’t thinking about the cool nights of Fall. We are too busy splashing around in the pool or at the beach and enjoying the sun. But planning ahead is always helpful; summer will be over before you know it, and you can relax just knowing that you are ready!
The warm glow of a fireplace is one of the pleasures of cooler weather. Sitting in front of a fire in your Nashville home on a crisp day is a wonderful way to relax and enjoy time with family, and it’s even better when knowing that your chimney has been cleaned and serviced. The safety of your home and loved ones is high on your list of priorities, so making sure your chimney is in good shape going into Fall and Winter will give you peace of mind. A chimney that has not been properly cared for allows fumes and dangerous toxins to escape into the home when you light that fire, and regular cleaning prevents these issues.
All chimneys should be completely cleaned at least once a year. Homeowners should also inspect this area several times a year to help identify any potential problems. Use a flashlight and take a good look at the floor of the fireplace itself, where ashes accumulate, and note any issues with the brick. These bricks are more heat tolerant than ordinary brick used in other parts of the home, so these will need to be kept in good repair. If even one brick is out of place it can affect the entire fireplace and could possibly mean that it will be non-functional until repairs can be made.
Checking the chimney itself for obstructions due to bird nests or small rodents is also necessary as well as checking for creosote build-up. If this build-up becomes too thick, one spark can cause a chimney fire. The National Fire Prevention Association says that 30 percent of all home fires are caused by fires in the chimney itself. Make sure your home is not part of that statistic by regular inspection and maintenance.
Here at SERVPRO of Belle Meade/ West Nashville, we are experts in cleanups both large and small and can help in the event of fire and water damage. Call us today at (615) 242-9391, or visit our website: SERVPRO of Belle Meade/ West Nashville
The Benefits of a Partnership with a Cleaning Company
Keeping your office and warehousing spaces clean can be a real job, along with all your other concerns and business demands. As a smaller operation, you can often enlist the help of employees to do routine cleaning and maintenance, but sometimes a worker doesn’t have the physical capabilities for this type of task, or perhaps he or she is just too busy doing their actual job! That is always a good thing for you as a business owner but also makes it necessary to find another cleaning solution.
A partnership with a cleaning company can solve this type of situation, and there are many benefits to an agreement like this.
First and foremost, they can be available 24 hours a day, so in addition to scheduled cleaning projects such as break areas, bathrooms, lobby and waiting rooms, etc., they can be called in for the big projects. These can include overnight stripping and waxing floors, clean up after water damage, or even mold remediation!
In addition, you can expect their staff to be fully trained, which will alleviate the issue of having to instruct someone on how to take care of a cleaning project. You can be sure that the proper products and equipment will be used, and the correct personal protection will be employed. The work will be guaranteed as well, so if your offices don’t look quite the way you want them after the company has been there, they can be asked to come back and make sure you are satisfied.
Contracting a cleaning company means there is one less thing for you to concern yourself with. When you unlock the doors in the morning, the entryway will sparkle, the desks, chairs, and other equipment will be neat and orderly, with no dust in sight. No more dingy corners or musty artwork in the waiting areas, no more lingering odors in the bathroom and break room. The microwave will never be an unpleasant surprise again, and the kitchen floor won’t be slippery from yesterday’s lunch hour. What’s not to like?
Call us today here at SERVPRO of Belle Meade/ West Nashville and set up a time to discuss all your options. We are experts in the area of cleanups, both large and small, and water and fire damage projects are our specialty. We also handle mold remediation. Visit our website: SERVPRO of Belle Meade/ West Nashville, or call us: (615) 242-9391.
TOP THREE PLACES TO CHECK FOR MOLD GROWTH
Mold. Just hearing the word can cause us all to cringe. It’s odorous, unsightly, and even dangerous to our health. And it can show up so fast that it can be shocking! Just knowing where to look and what areas are best to practice preventive measures in can help give you peace of mind.
Here are the top three areas to check regularly for mold growth:
The bathroom. This almost goes without saying, since everyone knows that mold likes water. And water is the name of the game when it comes to the bath area! Most bathrooms are cleaned thoroughly at least once a week, and these times are great for checking for mold. Look in the least traveled areas, such as corners of the linen closet, behind the toilet, under the sink. If there are, or have been, any leaks in these places in the past, these areas are in danger until they are fully dry. You can invest in a dehumidifier for your bathroom, and that can be a great help.
The kitchen. This area of your home is also a watery place, and it is used more than any other area in the house besides the bath. Keep an eye out for spills and leaks and clean them up immediately to ensure that they are not attracting mold spores, which are always in our air and cannot be removed. The trick is not giving them a place to land and settle!
The laundry room. This room, since it has large appliances, also has nooks and crannies that are not cleaned as often, since no one ever sees them. Add to that the humidity in the air and possible unseen leaks or drips, and you have a recipe for the establishment of a mold colony. Enlist help, pull the washer and dryer out from the wall regularly, and make sure the areas behind them are clean, dry, and disinfected. Make sure spills are cleaned and dried right away, as well.
Other areas to keep an eye on: hall closets, your garage, and/or basement.
SERVPRO of Belle Meade/ West Nashville is always here to help you with any issues related to water damage in your home or business, and we are mold remediation experts, too. Large-scale cleanups after flooding and fire are our specialties. Call us at (615) 913 4280, or visit our website: SERVPRO of Belle Meade/ West Nashville
WHAT TO EXPECT FROM SUMMER SHOWERS
As Spring rolls around into Summer, you are probably thinking about sunshine. The pool will be open, and the grill will be in use again. It’s a great time of year!
But Summer is also a time for rain showers in most of the country, and one thing you can expect from summertime showers is that they come up fast and bring a lot of moisture with them! Here are some things homeowners need to consider:
- Roofs and gutters. It’s obvious to think about the condition of your roof and rain gutters in the fall, before the winter weather hits. But if they are not well-maintained after snow, ice, and winter storms, a simple summertime rain shower can create its own problems for you. Inspect these areas closely in readiness for a downpour so that you can spend the rest of your summer worry-free.
- Garden drainage. If you have planted vegetables and/or flowers this year, you will be looking forward to the yields this project will bring. Take a good look at the drainage surrounding any garden or landscaping area and make sure water can escape if there is an abundance during a summer downpour.
- Outdoor furniture. Some summer showers can last for an extended period of time and that can wreak havoc on your outdoor furniture if it hasn’t been maintained from the prior year. There are many paint and finishing products available that will do a great job protecting your furniture from weathering.
- Humidity. Summer rain storms can last for several hours, and even a day or two. In these weather conditions, you might feel the effects of extended rain showers by experiencing a higher interior humidity level. Mold can grow pretty quickly in these conditions! Investing in dehumidifiers for your home can greatly reduce the chances of a mold infestation and keep your interior air quality at healthy levels.
Here at SERVPRO of Belle Meade/ West Nashville, we care about your personal property and your business. Call us at (615) 013 4280 if you need any assistance with damages from water or fire. And remember, we are mold remediation experts! Our website is: SERVPRO of Belle Meade/ West Nashville
KEEPING YOUR RESTAURANT’S CARPETING CLEAN
Your restaurant’s nightly checklist has to be followed to the letter in order to keep your business in great shape and ready for the next business day. Every item has to be thoroughly washed and sparkling clean on a daily basis; the kitchen flooring, stovetops and ovens, utensils, pots and coffee makers…. And then there’s the front of house - bathrooms, host stand, and bar area with all your glassware that needs attention. But you and your team have it all handled, every day.
Flooring in a busy restaurant can be a challenge, as well. Many eateries choose to install hardwood floors, which have to be treated regularly to avoid damage from high heels, spills, and scratches from table and chair movement.
Perhaps, however, your establishment has carpeting. A nightly vacuum and spot cleaning will go a long way towards preventing potential mold growth and other issues that can cause unpleasant odors, but your carpeting will still need a regular deep cleaning to keep floors looking the way you want them to. With carpeting, spills on carpeting don’t come up quite as easily or as completely as those on hardwood flooring, and a carpet in need of deep cleaning can look dull and worn, with the colors no longer as bright and fresh; that can reflect negatively on your guest’s experience. Make sure a deep cleaning is on your cleaning checklist!
Here at SERVPRO of Belle Meade/ West Nashville, we are equipped to handle the toughest carpet cleaning jobs. Our business is experienced with cleanups from fire and water damage in both homes and large commercial enterprises, and mold remediation is one of our specialties! Call us today at (615) 913 4280. You can also visit our website: SERVPRO of Belle Meade/ West Nashville
STORM-PROOFING YOUR GARAGE
When planning to protect your home from storms, make your garage one of your first priorities. Your garage is one of the most vulnerable areas in your home when it comes to high winds. Here are some tips to stormproof your garage:
- Install a garage door with a high wind-resistance rating. Storms that bring with them extreme levels of wind will cause the most damage; when a garage is breached, the winds will batter the rest of your home. Water will start to come in, and even just an inch of water can cause unwanted, and costly, damage. If you live in an area prone to tornadoes, it’s recommended that you invest in a door that can withstand winds of 130 mph or higher. Doors with high impact-ratings will protect your home and belongings from flying debris.
- Install a bracing system. You can reinforce your garage door with proper bracing. Most garage doors are secured only by the tracks or hinges, which will be no help during a powerful storm. A bracing system works by anchoring the door to the walls and floors and into each hinge.
- Maintain your garage door. If there are any holes, cracks or breaches, these will allow storm winds through your garage door. Perform a monthly inspection and look for any of these types of issues as well as problems with the weather stripping or any parts of the garage door mechanisms and functionality. Perform the needed maintenance as soon as possible to stay in storm-readiness.
- Secure all windows. If you have windows in your garage, these will also be weak points during extreme weather. Ensure they are in good repair and that the weather stripping is in great shape. Having wrought-iron window protection installed as well can go a long way to protect your glass from flying debris, such as rocks or tree limbs.
- Install drainage and flood vents. Make sure that this vulnerable area of your home is properly outfitted for the drainage of large amounts of water. You can have a trench drain installed in front of this area and on the sides of your driveway to divert water, and flood vents inside the garage can drain any water coming inside quickly before levels rise and cause damage.
Here at SERVPRO of Belle Meade/ West Nashville, we handle clean up after house and business fires, and are well-equipped to handle water damage. Mold remediation is also one of our specialities! Call us at (615) 913 4280, or visit our website: SERVPRO of Belle Meade/ West Nashville
WHY YOU SHOULD PRIORITIZE KEEPING YOUR BUSINESS CLEAN
Those shows about failing businesses and restaurants are often entertaining and even humorous, at least to us as viewers. But they also highlight an essential detail that businesses sometimes overlook: a clean work area. That might not sound like a big deal, but a clean business sends a powerful message to staff and customers alike.
Listed here are some of the benefits of prioritizing workplace cleanliness:
- It reduces the need to replace supplies and equipment as often. When dirt and grime are left to build up, they will cause unnecessary wear-and-tear on your office equipment. The keys on your PC keyboard can get sticky, which necessitates a call to IT. Flooring can become stained and unkempt, and office furniture left uncared for is unsightly, sending the wrong message to everyone. Regular cleaning and maintenance will save you costly replacements of these items. SERVPRO of Belle Meade/ West Nashville specializes in all areas of commercial cleaning and restoration.
- It can help you find and fix damages before they becomes a problem. Regular deep cleaning can help you catch problems you might not notice otherwise and keep you looking good while doing it. You will see the signs of water damage and mold growth much more quickly, and as we all know, damage from leaks are much easier to deal with at the beginning of the issue. The longer damage from a water leak goes on, the higher the costs for repairs are going to be. Taking care of mold is also important for the health of your workforce. Mold spores can often be toxic, and its presence can be a health code violation. SERVPRO of Belle Meade/ West Nashville is your Nashville area specialist for mold remediation.
- It can help employees avoid illnesses and positively affect morale. A dirty working environment can encourage the accumulation of bacteria and viruses, which will adversely affect your employees. Clutter and grime also make it difficult to concentrate and has been proven to cause stress, especially for those people who are highly sensitive to uncomfortable surroundings. When your workers are happy and productive, your customers and clients will know it, and an atmosphere of positivity will affect your business by encouraging repeat sales and referrals.
- It gives your business an image and reputation of trustworthiness. If your business looks like a mess, most people will assume it’s failing; how can they trust you to care about their concerns if you don’t care about your own? Water-stained walls, unkempt furniture and machinery, dusty light fixtures; all these things will give your prospective customers the idea that you are not a careful proprietor. Not the best way to get people to come back!
Call us here at SERVPRO of Belle Meade/ West Nashville for help with all your commercial cleaning needs. We are experienced in cleanup after water and fire damage, and mold remediation is one of our specialties! Our phone number is: (615) 651-6557, or you can visit our website: SERVPRO of Belle Meade/ West Nashville
Things You Might Not Expect From Storms
Storms of all kinds are just a part of life. We usually know they are coming, and we know things will get wet and blown about. Sometimes there will be flooding in low-lying areas, and for the folks who live in those places, that’s to be expected, although certainly not something anyone looks forward to. But you know what to prepare for, and so you do. You check windows and doors, drainage systems, and you make sure everyone you care about knows what to do in those events. So far, so good.
But what about those storm events that cause things to happen that just didn’t seem possible, or that you weren’t looking for?
After a severe rainstorm, your property can suffer from an infestation of insects, for example. They might be seeking higher ground, or their nests were destroyed and they need to build again. Not something you would be thinking about, but it can happen! Make sure you know who to call if you develop a problem like that!
In the event of hurricanes and tornadoes, large items can end up in the strangest places! We’ve all heard stories or seen pictures of cars up in trees, or an entire outdoor table and chair set sitting in another yard down the street. This, too, is not something you would expect. What will you do if that happens? A professional cleaning company such as the team at SERVPRO of Belle Meade/ West Nashville is ready and waiting to help you if your neighbor’s stuff ends up on your property!
Some of the things that can happen are pretty scary, such as branches driven through walls, trees falling on roofs, or extremely large hail falls. Before storm season, maybe think about weather events that could happen, and make some plans. Do you have a safe place for your larger machinery and cars in case of extreme weather? Do you have enough non-perishable food items in case of longer-than-normal power outages? If you have elderly neighbors, do you know who would be helping them if they were in trouble? Does that huge tree in your yard look like a liability? Safety is serious business!
We are always ready to help in the event of water or fire damage here at SERVPRO of Belle Meade/ West Nashville. Visit our website: SERVPRO of Belle Meade/ West Nashville or call us at (615) 651 6557!